• À Travancinha

Travancinha is a village with an old history, remaining to the present day many examples of the heritage that revels this antiquity. Using sources such as the website of the Parish Council of Travancinha, the General Directorate Cultural Patrimony and some testimonies of residents in the village, such as Prof. Henrique Camilo, author of the texts on the website of the parish council, to whom we thank the patience and the willingness to collaborate, below we present some examples of this heritage that we can still see today, as well as some places of interest, either by its natural setting or by the evidence of a culture of a charming mountain village.

Chemin romain

À Travancinha
Bien qu'il n'y ait pas d'études pour établir sa véritable origine, on suppose que le chemin qui borde la propriété Chão do Rio, également connu sous le nom de "Canada das Cerejeiras", a une origine romaine et fait partie de la route romaine "Via araocelum ad civitas Bobadela "reliant Mangualde (araocelum) à Bobadela (municipium) à travers :. Caldas da Felgueira, "Ponte do Moinho do Buraco", Travancinha, Lagares et Travanca "(adapté de travancinha.pt)

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 25'09.64''N, 7º 49'25.05''W

Botica (Pharmacy)

À Travancinha
In the XVI century the Botica (pharmacy) that served the Council of Casal de Travancinha was located in this old building, very close to Chão do Rio, in its access road.

GPS  coordinates: 40º 25'16.54''N, 7º 49'25.21''W 

Our Lady of Help' Chapel

À Travancinha
In this chapel located in the neighborhood of São Gião we can find the image of Our Lady of Help carved in granite, which gives name to the chapel. However, it is in homage to our Lady of Fatima, an image also present there, that the night procession of candles is carried out in which the Mordomas of the feast transport the image statue of our Lady of Fatima to the Parish Church, while praying the rosary and sing religious songs. In the next day, in a daytime festivity, the image returns to the chapel of Our Lady of Help, walking the streets of the village. This procession takes place on the following Saturday and Sunday to 13 May.

GPS coordinates: 40º 25'19.86''N, 7º 49'33.48''W
 

João Brandão Rock

À Travancinha
In Travancinha it is said that in the rock near the Municipal road, in a chair carved in the rock sat the famous João Brandão, a popular figure, known as the Beiras terror, waiting for his victims to pass the road ahead, to assault them and Loot
Born on March 1, 1825, in Midões (Casal da Senhora), his full name was João Víctor da Silva Brandão, being the son of Manuel Brandão, a blacksmith by profession. His father was the leader of a group of criminals, almost all of them of his family, who made a guerrilla struggle during the conflict between liberals and absolutists.

For decades João Brandão was a murderer, robbery and extortionist. He was arrested several times, but he had always been free and clear of his crimes, due to the protection of high-ranking, liberal-minded individuals whom a willing criminal was very useful. For this reason, his family ascended socially, that is why João Brandão belonged to the Chamber of Midões, between 1849 and 1853.
The establishment of peace and the centralization of the political administration led to the downfall of João Brandão, having finally, in 1869, been condemned in the Tábua court to the exile in Africa. Nevertheless, there he enjoyed all the privileges and created a prosperous factory of “aguardente” (kind of brandy).

GPS coordinates: 40º 25'28.97''N, 7º 50'36.34''W
 
 

Seixinha Cave

À Travancinha
The Seixinha cave doesn’t has its limits on the County of Seia. Beyond the Seixinha Cave, begins the county of Oliveira do Hospital. As we leave the main road, we enter a zone of great cliffs and a fantastic view over Serra da Estrela and the Seia River Valley. And soon we get a feeling that we are entering a mysterious place. In fact, when we look at the big boulder for a while, we can not imagine what we will find when we enter its small, half-hidden, entrance.
There we are dazzled by the beauty of white quartz stone. There is no document that reports its existence, or its purpose. But surely, it served as shelter to shepherds and their flocks in storm days.

GPS coordinates: 40º 25'36.02''N, 7º 50'45.26''W
 

Roman Bridge

À Travancinha
Beyond the limits of the municipality of Seia, near the parish of Travancinha, following the M507-1, towards Seixo da Beira, near the Seia River, there is a place of great beauty, known as Moinho do Buraco (hole mill). There, there is a water mill and the water of the river in its  passage has excavated the rock in great depth (forming big holes). Placed, next to the most recent bridge, that integrates the M507-1, there is a bridge of Roman origin. This bridge, like the roman path of Travancinha would integrate the route to  the "splendidissima civitas" of Bobadela. 

GPS  coordinates: 40º 25'39.04''N, 7º 50'58.51''W

Pedunculated Rocks

À Travancinha
At the entrance of Travancinha there is a group of rock formations of high Geological value, being at the moment to be studied its possible classification.
Pedunculated rocks are rock formations resulting from the erosion caused by the action of the wind and the sands. Pedunculated rocks are thinner at the bottom than at the top. Being granite rocks, these existing rock in Travancinha, have acquired particular forms very funny (toothed apple and penguin).
 
GPS coordinates: 40º 25'35.28''N, 7º 49'54.24''W
 
 

Borceda Pillar- Geodesic landmark

À Travancinha
Known as "Pilar da Borceda" this is one of the two geodesic landmarks of Travancinha. The view is fantastic and from there it is possible to see three districts: Guarda, Coimbra and Viseu and several mountain ranges such as Estrela, Caramulo, Azores, Buçaco and Lousã. It is a priveliedge spot for astronomic observation.
 
GPS coordinates: 40º 25'37.96''N, 7º 49'23.54''W
 

Double Centenary Cruise

À Travancinha
The date of its construction is unknown, but everything points to have been erected in the year 1840.

In 1940, the year in which Salazar, taking advantage of the celebrations of the "Double Centenary of Nationality" (Foundation of Nationality in 1140 and Restoration of 1640), in order to promote of the virtues of his regime, decided to launch a set of patriotic celebrations by all the country. The so-called "Commemorations of Centennial Commemorations" were set up to build the "Independence Cruises", with the aim of multiplying the existing double centenary cruises. The double centenary cruise of Travancinha was one of those that already existed.
 
GPS coordinates: 40º 25'27.08''N, 7º 48'46.30''W
 

Our Lady of Virtues Chapel

À Travancinha
Our Lady of Virtues Chapel, was built by a nobleman from the area of the lower Mondego, in 1742. This nobleman traveled with his family to the thermal baths of Unhais da Serra, when, passing through Travancinha, had to stop due to the sudden illness of his son. He camped on the grounds now belonging to the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Virtues, and in the days that passed there, having the death of his son imminent, he promised to Our Lady that if she cured his son, in that place, he wood erect temple in her honor. The son overcame his illness and the temple was built.
 
Even today, during the fair of Saints, many persons arrive here coming from the region of that nobleman. Probably, this fair, is a sequence of a pilgrimage to Our Lady of the Virtues.
 
Located between Travancinha and the adjacent André Vale, it has its annual festival, in honor of Our Lady of Virtues, on the second Sunday of August.
 
GPS coordinates: 40º 25'28.28''N, 7º 48'44.33''W
 

Chapelle Saint-Sébastien

À Travancinha
Dans cette petite chapelle, située dans le quartier "Corro", vous pouvez trouver l'image du martyr Saint-Sébastien, ainsi que l'image du Seigneur des Étapes.

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 25'15,39''N, 7º 49'16.44''W

Église paroissiale

À Travancinha
Les gens de Travancinha ont une forte nature religieuse. La patronne du village est Notre-Dame du Rosaire, qui apparaît dans l'autel principal de l'église paroissiale. En dehors de cette église du XVIIIe siècle, sur sa façade, il y a une statue de saint Pierre, faite de pierre.

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 25'11.10''N, 7º 49'12.70''W

"Alminhas" (sanctuaire de chemin)

À Travancinha
"Il suit le Concile de Trent (1545-1563) que la Confrérie des âmes est créée comme un moyen d'institutionnaliser la croyance au Purgatoire et de faire croire que les âmes des morts sortiraient du Purgatoire beaucoup plus tôt si plus de prières et d'aumônes ont été faites par les vivants.

Le Portugal est le seul pays qui a dans son patrimoine culturel les «Alminhas» (un type de sanctuaire de chemin de fer), généralement situé au bord des routes rurales, au carrefour, à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur des villages. Ce sont des représentations populaires des Souls in Purgatory qui supplient des prières et des aumônes.

Il existe de nombreux "Alminhas" à travers le pays. A Travancinha il y a quatre. Jusqu'au siècle dernier, par eux passés, les pèlerins en route vers Saint-Euphemia. "Dans travancinha.pt

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 24'58.62''N, 7º 49'03.34''W

Chapelle de Notre Dame de la Santé

À Travancinha
La Chapelle de Notre-Dame de la Santé, ancienne chapelle de saint Benoît, patron des ordres militaires (anciennement appartenant au détachement militaire du comté de Casal). Sa fête annuelle en l'honneur de la santé de Notre-Dame Dimanche après Pâques ". Dans travancinha.pt

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 24'52.38''N, 7º 49'05.11''W

Pilori

À Travancinha
"Casal a toujours son pilori, construit suivant la charte manueline, a été soulevé devant la maison de l'ancienne Commande. On dit qu'il était à l'origine en bois, comme cela s'est souvent produit au moyen âge, mais qu'après tentative le vol a été remplacé par le modèle actuel en pierre. " Dans travancinha.pt

Classé en 1933 comme Monument à intérêt public.

Coordonnées GPS: 40º 24'50,84''N, 7º 49'05.35''W

Chamber House

À Travancinha
Casal de Travancinha was the county seat with a letter of foral (royal document that establishes a municipality) from D. Manuel I, in 1514. It was formed by the parishes of Travancinha, Sameice, Várzea de Meruge, São Paio de Codeço and Meruge. It had a Chamber house, a Court, a jail, a Military Detachment and a Botica (Pharmacy). It had a judge, procurator, and a secretary of registration.The date of its extinction is unknown, but in 1836 it was already a part of the municipality of Ervedal da Beira and remained there until July 24, 1855, when it became part of the municipality of Seia. Although in private possession, all those buildings still exist today. 

GPS coordinates: 40º 24'50.33''N, 7º 49'06.02''W

Comenda House

À Travancinha
D. Dulce, wife of D. Sancho I (King of Portugal from 1185 to 1211), was the owner of the Comenda lands. Her daughter, D. Mafalda, heir to these lands, donated them to the Aviz Order. The house and its grounds, denominated Comenda until the present, belonged to the Aviz Order  (monastic military order) during three centuries. 

GPS coordinates:  40º 24'50.20''N, 7º 49'05.31''W

Secular fountain

À Travancinha
It is located in Casal, between the Comenda House and the Military Detachment.
For centuries, it has supplied water for the intire Casal village. After the 25 of April of 1974 (portuguese democratic revolution), was donated by the village Council, to the owners of the house where it was installed the  Military Detachment, in exchange for the extension of a street. Already in the XXI century, also by action of the village council, it returned to the public domain.

GPS coordinates: 40º 24'49.22''N, 7º 49'04.36''W
 

Gallow's rock

À Travancinha
It is located in Casal, in a pine forest, behind a house called the Machine House. Until recently it had a ring of iron spiked into the top of the rock, where a rope was tied, that aimed to be tied around the condemned’ neck, for  his execution.

GPS coordinates: 40º 24'44.17''N, 7º 48'48.61''W
 

Court

À Travancinha
In the XVI century, it was in this small house that the crimes of Casal the Travancinha County were tried. The name given to the square where the building is located refers to the court, since it is called: door of the living room. In fact, it is the door that stands out in the windowless facade, which would be open during the judgments made there.

GPS  coordinates: 40º 24'50.74''N, 7º 49'13.08''W

Jail

À Travancinha
After the 1514 Foral, when Casal de Travancinha was considered as the county seat, and for about three centuries, the county's jail was installed in Travancinha, in the current neighborhood of Corro. From the end of the nineteenth century until the construction of the Centennial Plan schools, already in the twentieth century, it was there that the primary school functioned, before moving to private ownership.

GPS  coordinates: 40º 25'16.36''N, 7º 49'19.30''W